Buyel’ekhaya Fashion Development Programme Returns
Following a highly successful and well received inaugural programme in 2016, the Buyel’Ekhaya Fashion Development Programme returns for its second year. The 2016 edition garnered much media and public attention as a program developed to empower Eastern Cape based emerging designers and fashion students between the ages of 18 and 35. The winners of 2016 have since moved on to greener pastures as they are due to begin internships with Thula Sindi and David Tlale.
The Buyel’Ekhaya Fashion Development Programme strives to push the developmental agenda of Eastern Cape born artists by ensuring that the participants and overall winners are exposed to various aspects of the fashion business including, but not limited to, establishing a brand, manufacturing and registering a business. This ties in with the overall objectives of the Government National Development Plan, the blueprint on the contribution of arts and culture to the economy through job creation, skills development and ultimately the socio-economic imperatives of South Africa.
This year’s programme began on Monday, October 2, 2017 as the call for entries opens. Aspiring designers are invited to apply to be a part of the action. The criteria for entry are as follows:
- Must have a qualification, or be studying towards one, in fashion design with an accredited institution;
- Must be a permanent resident of the Eastern Cape;
- Must be aged between 18 and 35;
- Must have 3 completed design sketches;
- Must be available to attend a compulsory workshop on the 23rd October in East London;
- Must be prepared to travel to Johannesburg from the 06th to 15th November 2017;
- Must be prepared to be in East London from the 13th to 15th December 2017.
Interested participants are invited to visit (www.buyelekhaya.co.za) and click on submissions, as well as follow the instructions or simply send an email to email@example.com. Entrants can also call 011 022 8844 between 12:00 and 14:00, Monday to Friday. Submissions close on 13 October 2017.
October 16, 2018
October 15, 2018
October 09, 2018