Before You Go To Sleep…
Many of us spend our nights tossing and turning, counting sheep and willing sleep to come. 1am comes and goes and we are still wide awake, aware that the time for work or school will be with us, before we know it. There are several practices that would be helpful to adopt, whether you find it difficult to sleep at night or you sleep like a baby and dream like a king.
- Wash your face: Washing your face or having your bath at night is a great way to get refreshed for bed. After a hard day, you would have accumulated dirt on your body – all the sweat and the grime builds up. Exposing your skin to extreme water temperatures can irritate the skin, so rinse with lukewarm water. Ladies, bathing at night is also a good practice for rinsing off all that make up.
- Brush your teeth: We all (one hopes) brush our teeth in the morning, but less than 10% of us bother to brush at night. But remember we brush our teeth to remove the build-up of plaque. Having eaten throughout the day, cleaning our teeth at night is a good habit to have to reduce the build-up. Brushing at night also reduces bad breath considerably.
- Drink a glass of water: A cool glass of water at night will help cleanse the system and also help to give that refreshing feeling that will help sleep overcome you all the more easily. By drinking water before bed, your hormones, energy levels, muscles and joints become balanced. This helps you to relax and leaves you feeling rejuvenated in the morning.
- Moderate the room temperature: Because of the heat in Nigeria, we are often tempted to put our air conditioners on full blast and at the lowest temperature we can. However this is actually averse to our health. Rather than turning your room into an icebox, regulate your temperature. Keep it cool at a comfortable temp – 18 – 20 celsius.
- Prepare for the day ahead: A lot of the time it is stress that keeps us up at night, staring at the ceiling trying to figure out how to solve the day’s problems and worrying about the day ahead. One of the best ways to assure yourself of a restful sleep is to prepare yourself for the day ahead. You can do this by laying out the clothes you plan to wear, writing a brief list of things you plan to accomplish and collecting together what you will need when you are leaving the house.
July 05, 2019
June 21, 2019
May 31, 2019